GHANA: DRIVER AND VEHICLE LICENSING AUTHORITY(DVLA) LICENSE PRICE LIST AS AT 11 / 11 /202020
NEW LICENSE ACQUISITION
Acquiring a new driver’s license without the use of middlemen or “goro” boys is inexpensive in Ghana. But most of the time, some Ghanaians want the easy way out and as a result, contact middlemen to go through the licensing procedure and get the license for them. When this happens, people end up paying three times what the licensing institution charges. Due to this, a lot of people think acquiring a license in Ghana is expensive and it prevents them from applying. This should not be so.
Here are some tips to help you have some knowledge about license acquisition in Ghana.
The first thing to know when applying for a license is, it comes in stages and categories.
The first stage is for you to acquire the Lerner’s Plate (L plate) and go through other processes to get the temporary license before the main license card is handed over to you.
There is also different category of license to apply for. For instance, Category B license comprises cars (example, saloon cars etc), cross country minibuses and pick-up vehicles, Category A: Motorcycles with or without sidecar whilst Category E includes: Tractors, Graders, Bulldozers, Loaders, Rollers, Forklifts, Combined Havestors among other categories.
Below are the requirement and processes to get a driver’s license in Ghana.
- You need an ID CARD (VOTER’S, GHANA CARD OR PASSPORT).
- Biodata capturing
- *TESTIMONIAL (APPLIES TO CATEGORY E APPLICANTS ONLY) *
- You have to make payment at the bank inside DVLA for STAGE 1. When payment is done, you will receive your Learners Plate (L-Plate). You are supposed to use it temporarily whilst you are focusing on the other processes.
- You then go for EYE TEST in ROOM 7.
- Note; the steps above are done on the same day. You go back to the DVLA Office when you have your (compulsory)driving school code which will enable the officials to give you a date for your examination or theory test. Which are the next sixth and seventh points.
- DRIVING SCHOOL CODE / TRAINING (FOR CATEGORY A & E APPLICANTS ONLY)
- THEORY TEST
- IN TRAFFIC OR PRACTICAL TEST
- ROAD SIGNS TEST
- PAYMENT FOR STAGE 2
- PRINTING & ISSUANCE OF TEMPORARY LICENSE
PAYMENT / PRICING
CATEGORY B CATEGORY A CATEGORY E CATEGORY AB / BE / ABE
STANDARD: STAGE 1 GHC 175.8 GHC 210 GHC 156 GHC 230
STAGE 2 GHC 173.5 GHC 173.5 GHC 55 GHC 206.5
TOTAL: GHC 349.3 GHC 383.5 GHC 211 GHC 437.3
PREMIUM: STAGE 1 GHC 323.8 GHC 348.5 GHC 223 GHC 378.8
STAGE 2 GHC 251.5 GHC 251.5 GHC 133 GHC 284.5
TOTAL: GHC 575.3 GHC 600 GHC 356 GHC 663.3
NOTE: With Standard price, (the process is a bit long). Whilst with Premium price, (the process is quick)
Also, PRICES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE
This article is to inform the public about the various price ranges for the different categories of license issued by DVLA.
In-depth information about what to do, which room to visit among others in order to aid you to go through the license acquisition successfully at the DVLA office will be published soon.
I hope this information is useful.